This time, I tried cauliflower cheddar soup. I generally hate cauliflower, but if it is cooked enough to be soft and covered with cheese, I can be persuaded. My kids and Adam really like cauliflower so I figure even if I don’t love the soup, they will.
It came out very very creamy! I didn’t love it, but the kids will!
Cheddar Cauliflower soup
1 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 white onion chopped
2 cups chopped cauliflower florets (from 1 medium head)
1 1/2 cups low-fat milk, divided
1 cups water
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon white or black pepper
1 tablespoons all-purpose flour (I used GF)
1 cups shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese (I used light blue menu triple cheddar)
1. Sautée onion about 5 minutes.
2. Throw in the cauliflower, 1 cup milk, water, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring often.
3. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the cauliflower is soft, about 8 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, whisk the remaining 1/2 cup milk and flour in a small bowl.
5. When the cauliflower is soft, toss in the milk mixture. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring, until the soup has thickened slightly, about 2 minutes more. Remove from the heat. Stir in cheese and enjoy.