Today is Yom Kippur. The Jewish New Year (Rosh Hashana) was last week. Once again I have found the holidays to be inspiring. In spite of having very limited religious beliefs (I’m pretty sure I don’t actually believe in God), I always enjoy Rosh Hashana and especially Yom Kippur. Something about a new year in fall (when so much else is new), fasting, Synagogue and talk of past deeds and atonement speaks to me. It reminds me of the sort of person I want to be and should strive to be, the changes I want to make. Life is progress and we are all working towards being better people, I believe.
1. I often feel like my biggest downfall in being the sort of person I wish to be is Lashon Hara (gossip). I plan to work hard on this over the next year, hopefully forever.
2. Continue to not eat animals, and work towards limiting my consumption of animal products like dairy and eggs. I don’t plan to go full on vegan, but I would like to limit these products as much as possible. I’m just starting to feel really bad about them, and the way that the animals that produce them for us are treated.
3. I also really want to re-examine the people in my life, actively push myself to get closer to the people his relationships I value, and distance myself from those his relationships seem to be a negative influence on my life. This is something I really struggle with. I tend to stay closest with the people that actively reach out to me, because I have a bit of a rejection fear. Unfortunately, those are not always the people that ate good friends to me and I feel are a positive influence in my life.
4. I also strive to be more positive in general (which is a big reason that I want to focus on keeping the positive friends in my life, and create distance from the ones that I do not think are particularly positive people or a positive influence on me). I’ve done a lot of complaining over the last few years, I don’t think it’s over-the-top, because reality is a lot of things in my life have pretty much sucked over the last couple of years, but I still have a lot to be positive about, and need to focus more on those things, even when everything around them just isn’t so good.
5. Like always, I plan to continue to keep up the healthy eating and active lifestyle that have gotten me to a weight and size I feel good about. I want to stay like this for a long long time! It seems like keeping it up should stop being a goal at some point, but I know that I have to always be somewhat vigilant in this regard. Reality is that when somebody has been large and lost a lot of weight, it can come back on very quickly and easily. I do not want to be complacent about that!